How to make a No Wax DIY Candle is easier than you’d ever guess, and you probably already have all of the items you need to make them at home, except maybe the wick. To make a No Wax DIY Candle, you only need 4 things: the candle wick, a crayon, an essential oil of your choice for scent, and the secret ingredient, Crisco shortening. You can’t go wrong making these no wax DIY candles. They are inexpensive, smell great and make the best gifts!
If you are looking for other homemade gift ideas that are perfect for gift giving, or to keep for yourself, you might want to try these shower bombs, these peppermint bath bombs, or this recipe for beard oil. All are super popular and easy to make!
Make No Wax DIY Candles
No Wax DIY Candles are a great craft to make because:
- They are easy to make.
- They are not expensive – if you already have essential oils at home, then chances are, all you have to buy are a few candle wicks.
- They look fabulous.
- They smell even better.
- They make great candles.
- They make great gifts, and would make a great party favor!
- Why wouldn’t you?
What You’ll Need to Make a DIY Candle
- Jars to put them in. You can use Mason jars, or any jar that you have around the house. We used jars that came with a Creme Brulee dessert that we bought at Costco. Score. It was a great way to use nice glass jars that would have otherwise just been recycled.
- Crisco Shortening.
- A crayon.
- A candle wick. You can buy wicks at craft stores like Michael’s.
- A few drops of an essential oil of your choice.
How To Make a No Wax DIY Candle
(note: no affiliate links are used in this post)
Step 1: Make a bend on the candle wick about 1/3″ – 1/2″ inch from the end of the wick. Using a hot glue gun, glue the wick to the bottom of the jar in the middle. Some wicks already have a middle ring at the bottom that you can use to glue to the jar, but if your wick does not have that, then use the bend method.
STEP 2: Melt Crisco shortening in a glass jar in the microwave in 30 second increments. Use as much shortening as you’ll need for your jar. How much shortening you use depends on your jar size. You’ll want the solid (unmelted) form to reach the rim of the jar.
STEP 3: Break off the tip of a crayon and smash with a spoon.
STEP 4: Once the Crisco is completely melted and hot, mix the smashed crayon tip into the melted shortening. You can add more smashed crayon for a deeper color saturation.
STEP 5: Add a few drops of essential oil to your colored Crisco. Mix.
STEP 6: Pour mixture into prepared glass jar with wick. Allow to cool. Enjoy.
TIP: If wick begins to fall over you can use a spoon to hold it in place.
Give your candles as gifts or enjoy yourself!
Other Homemade Gifts You May Like:
Don’t miss any of our DIY projects or our Top 10 Posts! Subscribe to our feed!